16 April 2013

Past Simple- Past Continuous ( when- while) Lesson Plan

I changed this lesson a lot because I could not imagine the time learners would spend on the exercises.  They had already learned past simple and past continuous tense( when- while).  Therefore,  I did not need to explain the tenses. I used running dictation activity.

Here is the my lesson plan:






These are some pictures from my lesson:

This is my treasure chest. The reason I chose this kind of box is that my lesson started with pirates, so I tried to make my lesson in the same theme in terms of activities.  Therefore, the students can connect everything in one clear concept.  There are yellow papers like golden in it.  Each student chose one of them and  completed the sentences with when and while. This was at the end of the lesson.

These are for vocabulary teaching before reading the story.





I tried to emphasize the pronunciation of "sword" because we may read it as it is written.  I made the students to repeat the word.




A Tip for When / While:  Draw 2 boys and girls on the board.  Boys are in the name of  when and while.  Girls are in the name of past and past continuous.Tell a story : "In old years, there were men dominance and wives could not walk with their husbands.  Women just followed men.  In those times, "when" married to "past simple" and "while" married to "past continuous".  As a result, "when" went somewhere, "past simple" followed him and "while" went somewhere, "past continuous" followed him."  Then draw a heart to show they loved each other and when was with past simple, while was with past continuous.
They may keep in mind this in that way! :)

A Tip for  -ing: In Turkish , we say "-ing takısı" ( takı means a jewellery).  Therefore, whenever you'll teach a lesson including continuous tense, as a female teacher you can wear a necklace, so the students understand they will learn a tense which has "-ing".  Also, we can say that this tense is very fashionista, so it has always its jewellery (-ing) on the verb.


I hope, you enjoyed it! :)


1 comment: